So, I have now made the Short List for the BBAW category of Best Audiobook Blog. I was a bit surprised, mostly because I am a relatively obscure Blog with a limited following. I don’t participate in a lot of challenges, memes, or giveaways that tend to drive up numbers, although I do enjoy reading other blogs that do that. I am quite honored to receive the nomination, and hopefully I will expose more people to the wonders that are Post Apocalyptic, Zombie, Monster Hunting audiobooks with Fantasy, Science Fiction, Thriller and Horror elements, as well as getting exposure for some of the writers and narrators that I love. So, for those of you who are new to my blog, let me tell you a bit of what I do here at the Guilded Earlobe.
1. First off, I exclusively review audiobooks. Years ago, I did run a blog called Thistles for Breakfast that included print reviews. Yet, now, due to some life changes, I listen to somewhere around 150 audiobooks a year, and this blog is dedicated to providing a place with in depth audiobook reviews.
2. As a way to avoid spoilers, I do not provide more that a brief description of the book within my reviews. I do provide specific genre/subgenre info as well as a quick thought review at the beginning of my full length review.
3. I generally break down my review in three parts. Part 1 I tell why I choose a particular book, outlining my prejudices for or against the book. Part 2 in my overall thoughts on the books content. Part 3 deals with narration and audiobook production.
4. I think I provide a unique service, as an exclusive audiobook blog. I also like to include author and narrator interviews that focus on the audio side of the industry. I have developed decent relationships with many audiobook producers, and will often review pre-release titles as a service to listeners.
5. Yes, I review a lot of zombie novels, over 20 this year. I also review mostly genre titles, specifically science fiction, fantasy, horror, mysteries and thrillers. I do make an attempt to find literary authors who take on genre titles as well as authors who blend or cross over genre lines.
There are four other excellent blogs in this category. Make sure you check them out before casting your vote. (Click on the banner above to take you to the BBAW website for voting information.)
Here are some posts that I think do a good job showing what I do here at The Guilded Earlobe:
Some of my favorite books of 2011:
Best of Posts:
Lastly a tongue in cheek review of the audiobook Go The F*** to Sleep by Adam Mansbach
Thanks for Reading.
Also, here’s some suggestions for other categories.
S. Krishna’s Books in Best Cultural Blog and Best Written Blog
Fantasy Literature in Best Speculative Fiction Book Blog
Jen’s Book Thoughts in Best Mystery/Suspense.Crime Book Blog (Although I read and enjoy all three)
Presenting Lenore for Best Author Interviews
Audiobook Week for Best Book Blogging Event